Initiatives to transform India’s Animal Husbandry Sector
The Office of the PSA as part of its One Health initiative to improve human, animal, and environmental health and identify scientific and technological solutions for priority problems is working closely with different governmental bodies and industries. For increasing the farmers’ income through enhanced livestock productivity, improve the health status of animals (and in turn that of humans) and stimulate the animal health industry as part of the Government’s priority on ‘ease of doing business’, initiatives have been undertaken in building national digital architecture, streamlining of the regulatory process in the animal husbandry sector and development of integrated disease control program across wildlife, animal husbandry and human health sector.
A. Ease of doing business: Streamlining the regulatory process in the animal husbandry sector
A well-functioning regulatory ecosystem is critical for the animal health sector to support a vibrant animal health industry in India so that quality vaccines, drugs and diagnostics reach our farmers in a timely manner. The Office of the PSA is working with Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO), DAHD, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) and industry to streamline the animal health regulatory ecosystem. Efforts are intended to achieve,
1. Building transparency into the system with end-to-end online portals for regulatory applications.
2. Drastically reduce the time taken for processing of applications, build predictable timelines for the review of applications and support innovations in the sector.
3. Set up the Indian animal health industry as a global force.
Nodal advisory body in the form of the Empowered Committee for Animal Health (ECAH) has been established to guide all the health programs in animal husbandry with allied Ministries and independent experts with PSA as the Chair and Secretary DAHD as the Co-Chair. A secretariat is being created in AGNIi to support overall activities guided by the ECAH.
B. National Digital Livestock Mission: Building a farmer-centric digital architecture for the Indian livestock sector
The Office of the PSA is supporting the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) to build an ambitious, end-to-end, national-level digital architecture in the form of the National Digital Livestock Mission (NDLM), which is one of a kind in the world.
1. With the unique animal identity serving as the basis for the digital stack, all government programs will operate through it making it easier for farmers to avail of these schemes seamlessly.
2. Building-integrated disease surveillance and control programs from farmers, veterinarians, and diagnostic lab level data connected via the cloud.
3. Building traceability into livestock products based on blockchain technologies so that transparency on quality is visible to the consumers and this can further improve the export of livestock products.
4. Improving access to animal insurance and bank loans by the farmers.
Read more about the architecture in the NDLM Blueprint